Thursday, May 06, 2010

When did Saggin Begin, Pre-Adolescence?


I tried to 'keep my eyes closed' as I traveled on the Marta today. Tried even harder as I approached downtown Atlanta. No telling what one may see or witness especially when one has to change trains at the Five Points stop.

I really don’t like to interface with what many may describe as ignorance. Foolishness. It literally pains me. Hurts. Yeah, it comes in all forms and colors – but…

I am really trying my best to call this ridiculousness what it is: A Condition. A Sickness. An outcome of slavery. I definitely will not stay with the latter description too long considering black people have in countless ways defied the affects of America’s most brutal act! Let’s just call it An Illness.

So, as I left a multi million dollar skyscraper with ‘out of touch blacks and whites’ - I was brought back to a Black Reality. The attached pictures today’s story.

If you are frustrated with your attempts to make out the photos:

The picture is a pic of a 4yr old boy. About that age. He is saggin. Saggin big time. I saw his kiddy boxers! A 4yr old sucking his thumb? Saggin more than my son was a few weeks ago before I laid down more Man Rules. Real rules that will help him – not taint him. (If ya interested in reading the definition of tainted rules click http://theshadowseries.blogspot.com/2010/02/tainted-man-rules.html.  

Back to the post toddler. By the way, the little man was with an adult! Maybe his saggin brother.

We are in trouble! We = Black People.

The trouble is starting so much earlier. So young. Pre-adolescence?? Wow!

Carter G. Woodson and Ralph Bunche are embarrassed I am certain.

My eyes are opening now. I am leaving one of many areas of the Atlanta area that many despise. Dislike. Lord knows I never wanted to close my eyes when it came/comes to black people.

I will travel downtown tomorrow and search for our essence: Beauty. Intelligence. Pride. I will look for it...like I did today. I did look for a positive. I really did. No shyt!

So, please help me…help us by sharing a positive ‘black story’. Enter it in the Comments section below. Do it…Please. Leave your positive for all to read. Go ahead. Find one. Think of one. I dare ya!

*One condition: Nothing related to sports or any other entertainment.

I dare ya again!

Brain E. Payne sharing and daring.

5 comments:

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader Response:

Okay...I will answer my dare. A recent one!

http://www.todaysdrum.com/12261/with-or-without-foiled-plot-n-y-vendor-a-hero/

Dare you..............................

-Muata

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader Response:

This is the very reason we need more "True" Mentoring Organizations for our youth. As Susan Taylor is trying to get the message out across the country in her National Cares Mentoring Program, sure "it takes a village to raise a child" however at this point in "our" history "THE VILLAGE IS BURNING". By the way Steve Biko is one of my many "True" Heros. Yours In The Struggle

-HW

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader Response:

Unfortunately the "system" has strategically cultivated in us a sense of dependence upon them/it for survival through a variety of methods. Therefore, I will add that many of us depend on the system to think for us which might be painful for some. When I reflect on this, I'm reminded of the words of the late Carter G. Woodson. In one of his classic books, The Mis-Education of the Negro, Woodson says: "If you can control a man's thinking you do not have to worry about his action. When you determine what a man shall think you do not have to concern yourself about what he will do. If you make a man feel that he is inferior, you do not have to compel him to accept an inferior status, for he will seek it himself. If you make a man think that he is justly an outcast, you do not have to order him to the back door. He will go without being told; and if there is no back door, his very nature will demand one." Sadly, the system has figured this out long before we were born and I'm afraid will maintain this reign long after we're gone. Although many of us have successfully matriculated this game of life and are able to think independently, collectively we are in trouble.

Just yesterday I was driving to the post office and several young black boys were casually walking in the middle of the street seemingly without a care in the world. As I approached them no one moved. They kept walking in the middle of the street. I sat there and my blood began to boil. Then one of the young men just turned around and looked at me and they kept walking in the middle of the street. I couldn't help but to get out and confront them with the understanding things might get ugly. I just simply asked them why? Especially when there were sidewalks on both sides of the street. One of the young men, responded (verbatim) by saying "you didn't blow your horn!" I just got back in the car and prayed for the Lord to help us. Not to mention this was during school hours. We're in trouble...seriously!

-BM

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader Response:

Many of us are ignorant, in large due to our own educational system. I make no total excuse yet acknowledge variables.

-PM

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader Response:

Very good points in that we don’t (as a people) celebrate our own culture but it’s important to note that our culture was stripped away from us the minute our ancestors were kidnapped, brought here, and dismantled as a family unit. Not making excuses for blacks but it’s hard to take pride and celebrate in something if you don’t even know where you come from and to whom you belong. Hell, even as I type this e-mail to you, I don’t even know my own heritage beyond my (maternal) Grandmother and Grandfather. It’s no wonder we can’t coalesce as a people when we have no idea who we are. I hope to one day (soon I hope) explore my family’s lineage as that would definitely be a DREAM COME TRUE for me. On another note, and speaking of Dreams Coming True, I have the opportunity to travel to Accra Ghana (West Africa) with Tuskegee’s Veterinary Alumni Association in November and I plan to go for it. Thanks for the information about Ghana’s independence and as always….. Thanks for being a conscience brother.

-DM