Friday, April 10, 2009

Every year I have something to say about the celebrated resurrection of Jesus Christ. My words have been viewed as cynical, disrespectful, and overwhelmingly insulting. Of course, I have in turn defensively described my sentiments as my truth. My beliefs. My understanding. While ‘telling it like it is’ I have isolated myself becoming a lone man on a theological island that, in truth, has become drastically lonely.

Feeling alone is not a good feeling. It leads to a depression that fluctuates from moderate to severe – but this Easter season I am not lonely. I actually feel like I am standing with countless brave people. I have ‘balls’ as a result of this like-minded support. But, I do not have joyous feelings about this considering what is occurring domestically.

In the latest edition of Newsweek http://www.newsweek.com/id/192583, writer Jon Meacham, states that Christianity and its influence is losing substance and legitimacy among America’s latest and most recent generations. He also says that the Christian Right has lost its battle against same sex marriage, abortion, and school prayer (lost that fight a long time ago). And, to be quite frank these are battles I wish in some ways would have never been lost. Well, praying in school was never something I supported. Nonetheless, the Lefts strong-arm ability to regulate abortion to a meaningless ‘choice’ and their successful efforts to defy God’s marital union has done nothing but change the divine script God supposedly set-forth.

Not that killing babies and same sex persons getting married is my defiant ax to grind. Really, it is not. However, we (Homo sapiens) have allowed a mechanism that forged my moral character to dwindle. Christianity has become irrelevant to many. It is a non-issue. The question bishops, pastors, and other Believers should be asking is, Why? Why does Newsweek’s cover read:

The Decline and Fall of Christian America

In my typical cynicism, I must declare that the last word in the cover’s title is the problem:

AMERICA

This country has taken too many wrong turns. In effect, altering the precious landscape that was envied by most nations. Now, we are nothing more than an embarrassed bully trying to rearrange a mess. A mess, Christianity in its most useful form (character development, and not the belief pushing of myths e.g. He Rose) cannot shake…thus the reason its usefulness has become useless.

Another Easter…some will relentlessly celebrate what Mary Magdalene - John 20:14 was first to witness (allegedly) while others will share the morals Christianity once was able to solidify in MOST humans.

Written by Brian E. Payne.

http://www.amazon.com/Exposing-Christianity-Sharing-Alternative-Churchs/dp/142419413X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239408142&sr=1-1

3 comments:

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader Response;

You are headed to hell.

-OP

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader Response:

You will soon get enough of mocking my Jesus!

-JR

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader response:

If only more people take your approach. By the way, where in the hell did the bunny rabbit and eggs come from? LMAO!

-HW