Thursday, December 17, 2009

Your Most Memorable Christmas Gift?

Christmas typically brings feelings of joy and excitement. Hideous holiday decorations. The distinctive sound of Nat King Cole’s voice singing The Christmas Song. Brandy spiked eggnog. Another fried turkey dinner. And, the celebration of Jesus’ life for those who believe He is immaculately divine and Christology convinced His birthday is in the winter month of December.

It’s The Most Wonderful Time of the Year. Oh! Forgot about the Gifts: The most important aspect of Christmas for this commercialized day of remembrance and definitely the most regarded ‘gain’ for people who place importance on what they receive rather than what they give.

Giving is better than receiving. Right? Whatever. I would rather receive any day. But, since we try to adhere to the way we are suppose to be, unselfish, we put forth an effort to give. Some give more than others. I sincerely try to move away from the innate human characteristic, selfishness, daily. During the holidays too. Wait…forget that! It is Christmas! No need for me to be politically correct! During Christmas I expect not to get much. Just the way that I am. When I think about it, I cannot recall a gift that was that special to me anyway. Before those reading who have given me a gift get upset, let me elaborate.

The gifts received have been appreciated. However, the gifts over my 39 years have not been remarkably precious. Not gifts that I hold deathly dear. Groundbreaking or something that I cannot live without. With that mediocre ‘elaboration’, I have two questions:

Is there a gift that you can think of that means the world to you? Is there a gift that you can go to now, and say, ‘this gift is/was so adorable? It means the universe to me.’

Your response says a lot about you and the person who gave you the gift. It also speaks volumes about this ‘tradition’, and what we have made of it.

Perhaps, we will receive a meaningful gift if we ask someone to Please Come Home for Christmas. ‘Home’ does not have to be a physical place. It can also be bringing oneself back to the authentic base: emotionally and spiritually. Let’s help each other get or back here.

Brian E. Payne sharing. Let’s make Christmas merry and more gift memorable!

The Christmas Song by Nate King Cole
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_W7p35SzuI

It’s The Most Wonderful Time of The Year by Johnny Mathis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pI-gtDY5jA

Please Come Home for Christmas by Charles Brown

2 comments:

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader Response:

The obvious:

LIFE

-JK

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader Response:

Yes -- Life! Why? ...because I don't have to ask why.Thanks for asking. Your life too, means a lot.

-EAS