Thursday, September 25, 2008

Using my Imagination to Imagine that the Number is Wrong

Imagine if every eligible black person in the United States was registered to vote. Imagine if at least 75% of these registered blacks were prepared to vote for Barack Obama on or before November 4, 2008. If this phantasm would become a reality Barack Obama and the Democrat Party would not be as flustered as they are now. What do you think?

For the sake of using this mental imagery: Wouldn’t there be more comfort and ease among those who are wanting and needing a Change We Can Believe In?

8 Million Unregistered Black Voters in the United States

“Brian, stop pulling numbers out your butt! You are wrong. Where did you get that number? There are only 40 million black people in the United States.”

Well, even after blogging and sharing verbal and written commentary for the past 4 years there are those who still believe that the information that I share is on ‘shaky ground’. Perhaps, I am questioned because the information I do share is considered negative and somewhat depressing most of the time thus encouraging others not to believe and/or dismiss me. I agree that I can do a better job of sending out more decorative info. Perhaps, the statistics I share concerning black people are just high and alarming. So high that they are extremely DIFFICULT to believe. I definitely did not believe this one:

8 Million Unregistered Black Voters in the United States

Nonetheless, the US Census Bureau prides itself on getting the figures right:

http://blogs.bet.com/news/newsyoushouldknow/despite-obama-8-million-black-are-unregistered/

This commentary is not written to be grandiloquent or to blast black folk. No, today this is my message of deep concern, vigorous encouragement, and startling disbelief. We can hear the radio personalities say to us over and over, ‘Please register to vote.’ We can receive email after email suggesting that we FORCE someone in our realm of persuasion to register. While I have received a total of 87 email forwards over the past three months motivating and guilt-ing black people to do what they are suppose to do anyway, I was still amazed - actually, SHOCKED to discover:

8 Million Unregistered Black Voters in the United States

After thinking about this number in my sleep, I have two questions:

What does it really take to get unregistered Devon to fill out a form that only requires 3-4 minutes to complete? How do we inspire unregistered Alexis to write her name, address, telephone number, DOB, gender, race/ethnicity, and driver’s license number/last four digits of her social security number on a form that could literally assist in changing her life?

I don’t understand it. After all that was brutally endured and unselfishly sacrificed, what will it take for this 8 million to pay homage to the honorable (the ancestors)?

It is my hope that you and I along with the man who stands behind Change We Can Believe In can GET those unregistered to Swear or Affirm that they are a citizen of the United States.

Just had a thought. Perhaps, this is the underlying problem: The unregistered do not feel that they are TRULY citizens of these United States. If this is the case I can understand why: disenfranchised, ignored, disrespected, and gentrified. I have been there.

http://www.nationalactionnetwork.net/

Written by Brian E. Payne. Inspired by 8 million!

10 comments:

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

my consternations is that we dont find out for ourselves but take the #s of others. have a gr8 weekend

MUATA NOWE said...

Muata responds to Fellow Blogger Torrance:

Torrance-
I am trying to understand your response. The numbers can be validated by a body that is responsible for making sure that the numbers are accurate.

-Muata

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader responds:

Grandi- WHAT? (Big word).
Even if registered- I don't think these cats will walk away from the PS2 to go to the polls.

Why?

Apathy.

-Baion

MUATA NOWE said...

Muata responds to Baion:

Thesaurus.com is my friend. LOL!

I hope that you are wrong. I am so tired of saying this:

Black people need to utilize their voting right. It was earned with sweat and blood!

Aren't you tired of hearing that?

When will we learn?

-Muata

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader Responds:

I'm going to VA to canvass for Barack this Sunday. Hope I can register some unregistered. Think I'll start walking the streets with a clipboard.

-CS

MUATA NOWE said...

Muata responds to CS:

It is that serious: we need to twisting some arms.

We have to understand that this election is CRITICAL.

I admit, Obama is the answer for now. I pray that we, the people, answer his call to stand-up!

-Muata

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader Response:

I am right there with you today. It's unbelievable that a person can live in this day and time and NOT have their voice heard. Years ago I stopped talking to some guys at work when I discovered they were not registered voters. I told them I don't ever want to hear an opinion you have about the state of the world, local government, our work place as long as you are not registered to vote and an active voter!

It is absolutely amazing the ignorance not of the American public, but of black people. Yesterday I was driving and I saw some young black adults walking and I thought are you registered? Because with eight MILLION unregistered dumb azzs (I won't call them voters because they never exercised their right!) the possibility that most people I pass are not registered is very real.

Well I'm off my soap box. I need to follow up with the person I signed up with to help register people.

Push till Oct 6th! Then act until Nov 4th!

-ANJ

MUATA NOWE said...

Muata Responds to ANJ:

I think a lot of us would be surprised to learn of some black celebrities who do not vote. I heard Brian McKnight say to Tom Joyner one year that he doesn't vote. Tom and Jay Anthony Brown blasted him of course. McKnight's reason: "well, no matter what happens I will still be taxed." His words. So, even the so called accomplished and educated are stupid too. Think about it: somebody's momma was beat down for attempting to exercise that right. And, these fools walk and drive around here like the world owes them something. BTW, in the black Mecca (Atlanta) land of the well-to-do blacks: 600,000 unregistered negroes. Pathetic!

-Muata

Freedom In Christ said...

@Baion...PS2 is obsolete now where have you been. LoL! Now there is PS3, Wii, XBOX360, which I don’t think there is anything wrong with playing video games. There have been many father and son bonds strengthened through a past time game of playing video games…A time when the father can relate to his son and fun doing so, while checking on him/her in the process. Not to mention the gender gap that is somewhat closed when video games come into play. Fathers, Mothers, sons, daughters, teenagers, men and women alike are connected by yes-VIDEO GAMES…LOL!!!

Now what they should do is have voter registration when one of these “cats” purchases their console and additional video games.

@ Muata...these numbers are staggering. I agree with Torrance too can we really trust them. The reason I say this is because theses numbers are forever "changing" and these stats are not updated everyday!

I agree black folks can have a nonchalant attitude about voting after our ancestor’s have endured so much to bring this "RIGHT TO VOTE" to us for our advantage! They were murdered and maimed all in this quest of voting and we are disgracing them! However, our real disgrace is not carrying of the legacy of “Being our Brother’s Keeper”. Change only comes from within and until you/me/we and us as a collective race of black folks come together and start by changing that Man/Woman in the Mirror this society will continue to deteriorate regardless of who is voted as President of these United States!

PASS THE BELOW ON:

“NO OBAMA PARAPHERNALIA WHEN VOTING”

“PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ADVISE EVERYONE YOU KNOW THAT THEY ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT GO TO THE POLLS WEARING ANY OBAMA SHIRTS, PINS OR HATS, IT IS AGAINST THE LAW AND WILL BE GROUNDS TO HAVE THE POLLING OFFICIALS TO TURN YOU AWAY. THAT IS CONSIDERED CAMPAIGNING AND NO ONE CAN CAMPAIGN WITHIN X AMOUNT OF
FEET TO THE POLLS. THEY ARE BANKING ON US BEING EXCITED AND NOT BEING AWARE OF THIS LONG STANDING LAW THAT YOU CAN BET WILL BE ENFORCED THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY ARE BANKING THAT IF ARE TURNED AWAY YOU WILL NOT GO HOME AND CHANGE YOUR CLOTHES. PLEASE JUST DON'T WEAR OBAMA GEAR OF ANY SORTS TO THE POLLS!! PLEASE SHARE THIS INFORMATION, OH AND FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WERE ALREADY AWARE THIS WAS NOT MEANT TO INSULT YOUR INTELLIGENCE. JUST TRYING TO COVER ALL GROUNDS.”

Rebecca said...

A House Of Cards

(1)

A house of cards

Is neat and small;

Shake the table,

It must fall.

(2)

Find the court cards

One by one;

Raise it, roof it,

Now it's done;

Shake the table!

That's the fun.

-----by runescape power leveling