Monday, June 28, 2010

African American culture...Is there such a thing?

While at a conference in New York (NYC has always been too fast and funky for Da Country Boy):

Thinking. Listening. Thinking more than listening. Lord knows I want to NOT think as much. My brain always at work is not necessarily a good thing. But, the sites and scenes of NYC are more than enough to invade and pollute my cerebellum.

Thought:

As I think about ethnic groups, I cannot think of what African Americans are 'known for'. Something outside of entertainment? For example, Asians are known for math/science intelligence. Jews are known for using their money to build financial empires.

Help me think of some 'known for's' for African Americans. 'Known for's' that benefit African Americans collectively.

What is 'a part of African Americans' that help us build community (real community), and not contribute to some system that can care less about our existence. What I mean by the previous sentence: we are always in the position of contributing to some other groups elatedness via entertainment - and we continue to make some other group wealthy.

Further, is there a such thing as African American culture? If it is, what does it entail?

Let's see if we can discuss this without using slavery as justification for our overall 'positioning' throughout the United States. If ya want I can list several groups from around the world that faced moments (decades) of cultural exploitation and 'stripping'. *I am trying my best not to lean on slavery as a reason...that is a goal of mine.

In what areas non entertainment related do we stand out?

"One of my most saddest moments was when I discovered the Friday Fish Fry was not an African American cultural tradition. It is a Catholic tradition!" -Brian E. Payne