Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Gun Violence: An American/Black Problem

I was listening to Keeping it Real with Al Sharpton today.

Lately, I have been trying to gauge which direction my spirit leans while listening to talk radio – and discerning what I should hold onto. What I have noticed is that my patience for liberal noise is not high (MSNBC). Actually, the emotional threshold is extremely low. I have also noticed that I have no 'compassion' for the lingering issues that black Americans inflect upon themselves day to day. If I, a black man, has stop caring just imagine what our white brothers and sisters are thinking.

Of course I have empathy for any person who is a non-contributing victim of violence or any other affect that typically plagues America’s communities. What I cannot appear to accept any longer is the ongoing problems that black people complain about. Such as, black on black gun violence. Those of us who do express concerns usually do not live amongst those that continue to shame the black race. Well, what’s left to shame!

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence : Statistics Overview

It amazes me that the National Action Network has to (still) stage rallies that address an issue that has been analyzed, dissected, and re-analyzed for decades. Shouldn't we (black people) be past the self hatred killing of each other?

Rev Al Sharpton and NAN to Lead Emergency Day of Outrage Around ...

A colleague, a black man, asked a serious question in the presence of whites the other day:

"Why do black people discuss the same black issues, same black diagnosis, and same black treatment over and over again?
I asked him, "What issues?"

He listed the same occurrences that I have heard for years. Like the one (gun violence) that gave birth to the National Day of Outrage.

Really?

Are we really that concerned that it requires a themed calendar day?

I just don't get it. I respect Al Sharpton for his continued efforts at "fighting the good fight". My question to him the next time I call into his show:

Aren't you tired of the same fight?

I am. Must be the reason why I get so irritated with black talk radio. What about the environment, health care reform, international relations, federal budget usage, and governmental and corporate corruption? However, the Brady link does indicate that gun violence is an American problem. Not a black one…

I beg to differ.

A Brian E. Payne Expression

5 comments:

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader Response:

Man, you could not find another picture?

-HJ

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader Response:

Gun violence is ingrained in the American fabric.

-PD

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader Response:

Brian, gun violence is an American problem. Not just a black issue. You need to stop!

-AM

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader Response:

That picture got my attention. Wow!

-FR

MUATA NOWE said...

Reader Response:

It is all about priorities. Blacks don't have theirs together.

-CJ